If you’re new to crafting and don’t know where to start, fear not! As ever, the Craftstash team are here to help guide you through the maze of crafting items, and pinpoint the essentials you cannot be without.
Our resident expert – papercraft guru, if you will – is the lovely Kayleigh. Bestowing upon us her pearls of wisdom, Kayleigh is our go-to for all those tricky questions that crop up in the exciting world of papercraft. What die cutter should I buy? What is mitring? How do I get rid of extra glitter? Kayleigh can answer all your queries!
From the age of 16, Kayleigh was whisked into the world of cardmaking by her mum, a fan of decoupage and peel-offs. A starting point for most crafters, she quickly developed her interest beyond the basics, eventually moving into the exciting realm of die-cutting and stamping. Unsurprisingly, her crafting hobby led her to secure a position in a craft shop. During her time there, she developed her crafting expertise, testing new products and picking up top tips off veteran crafters. Rest assured, our Kayleigh knows her stuff!
We asked Kayleigh to have a think about the essential items she can’t live without, and the top brands she loves the most. She was more than happy to help!
Kayleigh’s top 10 essential papercraft items
- Distress inks “I love Distress Inks! I simply wouldn’t go without. So many pretty colours, amazingly versatile, and can be used for so many stamping and blending techniques. Where some brands aren’t as effective, Distress Inks never let me down.”
- Tim Holtz pick tool “Also called a pokey tool! Poke holes, lift… you really don’t realise how useful it is until you use it. And because it’s retractable, it’s safer and you can also adapt the length – short or super long, whatever you need.”
- Sizzix die brush & foam pad “A massive timesaver. Get rid of all those bits quickly and easily.”
- Stix2 die cut release sheets “These work like magic. Why fiddle trying to get the die cut out of the die when these will do it for you?”
- Centura Pearl & Tonic cardstock “Centura’s card is sturdy with really gorgeous colours. But Tonic are great quality at a budget price. Both work well with die cutting and embossing – so I always have both in stock.”
- Cosmic Shimmer acrylic glue “It dries clear, quickly and is super strong. I use it to stick gems, embellishments, card, buttons, ribbon – everything, really. It’s just brilliant!”
- Craft UK cards & envelopes “You can grab one and go… I often prefer square shapes, but these come in all different shapes and sizes.”
- Cosmic Shimmer embossing powder “I love how shiny and sparkly it is. Use with a heat tool to bring out the shine!”
- Magic anti-static bag “Don’t glitter without it! Rubbing this over your card first makes it easy to brush off excess glitter prior to heating.”
- Die cutting machine “The most essential piece of kit I own. I use mine for pretty much everything. It’s so versatile and I can do anything with it.”
Have a browse on Craftstash today and get your basics in the basket!